YHA Franz Josef
YHA FRANZ JOSEF - Youth hostel and family accommodation Franz Josef
Special features at YHA Franz Josef that your family will love:
- 5 star backpacker accommodation in a lush rainforest setting in the heart of Franz Josef Glacier village.
- Only a five minute drive to New Zealand’s famous Franz Josef Glacier and just a further 30 minutes to Fox Glacier.
- Free sauna - perfect for relaxing in after a day’s walking on the Franz Josef or Fox Glaciers.
- Fantastic communal areas with lots of entertainment options: flat screen TV and DVDs, Sky TV, pool table, piano and cosy open fire.
- Full travel desk - friendly staff are able to book your transportation and activities all around New Zealand (with suggestions on the best of the best).
Offering the choice of any of their ground floor room types which includes shared, double or twin rooms. The bathroom facilities are shared and located close to the rooms, however if you wish to be close to the facilities it would pay to request this upon booking so they can confirm this for you. The bathroom includes extra wide doors, wheel-in shower, hand rail and shower seat. All facilities of this hostel are located on the ground floor which includes a TV room, lounge with fireplace, dining and kitchen facilities for added convenience.
About Franz Josef Glacier Village
Franz Josef Glacier village is an appealing alpine village surrounded by lush West Coast rainforest and mountain views and just a five minute drive from Franz Josef Glacier. Flowing almost to sea level into the dense rainforests of Westland National Park, Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier are the fastest flowing glaciers in New Zealand and the only glaciers in the world located alongside a temperate rainforest with ready access. Spend a day or two exploring either or both Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers with an experienced guide or take a helicopter flight with breathtaking views of the glaciers.
The Glacier Hot Pools have recently opened in Franz Josef village; a wonderful place to relax whilst sitting in thermal hot water pools uniquely surrounded by the West Coast rainforest. Glow worms are only a short walk from the YHA Franz Josef Glacier hostel too. For those wanting to enjoy more of the beautiful West Coast scenery, they should check out the mirror-like Lake Mapourika and rare white herons at Okarito lagoon.
Top activities to do while staying in Franz Josef
- Hike on one of the only glaciers to exist in a rainforest setting, the Franz Josef Glacier. Take a short trip down the West Coast to hike the Fox Glacier too.
- Fly up and away on a magnificent helicopter flight over the glaciers or try heli-hiking; quad biking; horseback riding or kayaking on a pristine West Coast river.
- Soak your cares away in Franz Josef’s Glacier Hot Pools, thermal pools in a rainforest setting.
- Look for the rare white herons at nearby Okarito Lagoon and take picture perfect mirror image photos at the lakes of Mapourika and Matheson.
- Night time native kiwi walks in Okarito.