Kiwi Guardian Outdoor Adventures
Get the kids outside to have some FREE family fun connecting with nature at Toyota Kiwi Guardians sites nationwide.
Toyota Kiwi Guardians highlights family-friendly, treasure hunt style activities at specific Department of Conservation sites that encourage kids to engage with the outdoors and, ultimately, earn themselves a medal for their efforts.
The goal of the conservation programme is to turn Kiwi kids into guardians of the land and sea.
A total of 50 sites are operational nationwide. Families can get started on their adventure by downloading the appropriate “treasure hunt” map from: www.kiwiguardians.co.nz
Click on the area of New Zealand nearest to where you are to find the choices available closest to home.read more
West Coast Surf
This beach provides both first timers with a safe and invigorating environment to learn in as well as providing some world class waves for the more experienced surfers. We offer lessons for new surfers and coaching for the more advanced levels looking to up their skills in the water.read more
- Web: bookings.bookitsecure.com/?cdb49-2905701
- Location: 299 Tauranga Bay Road, West Coast, Westport
Arahura Greenstone Tours
Arahura Greenstone Tours is a very special Maori cultural experience. Your Maori guides will share ancient legends and help you find their most coveted treasure, Greenstone, on a guided walk on the sacred Arahura River near Hokitika. Your guides have a unique connection to the Arahua and the local area that goes back many generations and enjoy sharing their knowledge and love of the West Coast, Hokitika and the Arahura River.read more
- Web: bookings.bookitsecure.com/?fccb5-2241238
- Location: PO Box 317, West Coast, Hokitika
Glacier Valley Eco Tours - Franz Josef
Providing families with quality, informative, friendly and relaxed eco-style tours. You can choose from either their Franz Josef or Fox Glacier eco walks (both 3 hours in duration) or their Lake Matheson (3.5 hours) eco walk. Great family rates, under 15's are half price and under 5's go free.read more
- Web: bookings.bookitsecure.com/?42231-2905663
- Location: SH6 Main Rd, Tartare River, Franz Josef
Hokitika Scenic Tours
* Discover the blue green waters of rock sided Hokitika Gorge.read more
* Walk among the native trees and bird life via treetop canopy at West Coast Treetop Walk & Cafe.
* Capture Dorothy Falls and tranquil Lake Kaniere - mirrored by snow capped southern alps & native rainforest.
* Climb aboard the Eco Adventurer Boat and cruise the Mahinapua waterways with stunning views of Mt Cook and Lake Mahinapua amongst the West Coast Wetlands, flora and fauna.
* Day trips to Punakaiki, Franz Josef & Fox Glacier available - phone or email today for all inquiries.
Pick up and drop off within the Hokitika area. From Greymouth Railway Station by arrangement.
- Web: bookings.bookitsecure.com/?231d8-2905690
- Location: Hokitika, West Coast
Buller Canyon Jet - Murchison
Before your jet boating adventure starts you'll walk over NZ's longest swing bridge then enjoy a thrilling 40 minute jet boat ride on the Buller River as it carves it's way through the pink granite rock of the canyons, past waterfalls and over earthquake rapids, right in the heart of historic gold mining country.read more
Fox Glacier Guiding
For an unforgettable family adventure take the kids on a breathtaking guided walk onto the world famous Fox Glacier with NZ's most experienced glacier guiding company. Situated in Glacier Country, is NZ’s largest commercially guided glacier. Offering a range of hiking trips and ice adventures to suit all fitness levels and ages. Minimum ages start from 5yrs.read more
- Web: bookings.bookitsecure.com/pub/supplier.aspx?a=KIDZGO&b=FOXGLD
- Location: Highway 6, Main street, Fox Glacier
West Coast Treetop Walkway & Café - Hokitika
Only 15 minutes out of Hokitika is a treetop adventure where you will experience the birds high in the ancient Rimu and Kamahi tree canopy. With easy access that is pram and wheelchair friendly you will travel across a steel platform 20 metres high and over 450 metres long. Enjoy at your leisure a 45 minute to one hour stroll. Then when you are finished you can recharge the batteries with the wide range of options at the cafe.read more
- Web: bookings.bookitsecure.com/?23689-2905666
- Location: 1128 Woodstock-Rimu Road Hokitika, West Coast
Glacier Hot Pools - Franz Josef
A relaxing and natural sanctuary that is nestled in a heavily wooded rainforest, beneath mature 30 metre tall trees. Your family can enjoy three main pools and three secluded private pools that range from 36 to 40 degrees. The private pools have a minimum 2/maximum of 4 people and come complete with private change facilities.
- Phone: 03 752 0099
- Location: Cron Street, Franz Josef Glacier
Punakaiki Horse Treks
Enjoy a 2.5 hour horseback ride through West Coast native bush as you see 300-foot-high limestone cliffs and stroll through the surf to view the magnificence of the Pancake Rocks. Suited to all levels of riders. Minimum of two riders required.read more
- Phone: 03 731 1839
- Location: 47 Punakaiki R.D 1, Runanga, Westcoast
Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Their Glacier Valley Walk will take you up alongside the Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat, you will learn about the history and see what is left behind by this glacier. Near the terminal face, after a brief climb you will enjoy spectacular views. Leisurely and informative no trip is exactly the same. Please note this trip does not take you onto the ice. Minimum age 6 years.read more
- Phone: 03 752 0763
- Location: State Highway 6, Main Road, Franz Josef Glacier
Coaltown Museum - Westport
Coaltown Museum in Westport which is a town built on coal extraction from wild and remote places showcases various displays on the formation of coal, maritime history, unionism, the communities, transport and the men underground. Bringing the past to life there is a simulated underground mine and collections of photographs and objects that picture the hard daily life, not just of the miners but their families too. An informative and interesting day out.read more
- Phone: 03 789 6658
- Location: 123 Palmerston St, Westport