Akaroa Heritage Park and Woodhills Track
Akaroa Heritage Park is accessible from Long Bay Road or on foot via Woodill's Track. Since it was established in 1992, over 1000 native trees have been planted by individual tree enthusiasts. It is an great place to park up and go for a whole or a part walk on the Woodhills Track (even a short 15min walk takes you into some really interesting bush) finishing back at the car to get out your picnic and enter the park with its absolutely stunning views of the peninsular, and sculptures. Facilities include picnic benches and toilets.read more
- Location: 280 Long Bay Rd, Akaroa 7583
Christchurch–Little River Railtrail
This biking/walking rail trail is a community project, which eventually plans to extend for 44 km between Christchurch and Little River. Two sections have been completed to date; f... read more
- Location: There are a number of entry points into the railtrail, accessed off the Christchurch to Akaroa highway.
Godley Head (Port Hills)
From Sumner or Lyttelton, take the Summit Road out to the headland to explore the relics of a WWII coastal defence battery. Older children will enjoy the Tunnel Walk (1 hour return) but note the track down to the tunnel is very steep and slippery when wet. Littlies may prefer to just explore around the old gun emplacements and underground magazines (take a torch). Children must be supervised as the steps down to the magazines are steep.read more
- Location: Godley Head, Summit Road, Christchurch
Margaret Mahy Family Playground
This spectacular all-ages, all-abilities playground is named after one of Canterbury's much-loved authors, Margaret Mahy. Plenty of thought and planning has gone into making the playground an amazing place for all. Here's what you'll find:read more
- Playground equipment, like the 4 metre wide-slide and double flying fox.
- Sand play, swings, rockers and a crawl tunnel for toddlers.
- Water cannons, sprinklers and a splash pad with controllable jets.
- Separate activity zones for different age groups.
- Food and beverage retailers - Rollickin' Gelato, Berry Healthy Real Fruit Ice Cream, Mo Coffee and Bueno Cantina.
- Lawn picnic areas and seating.
- Public toilet, change facilities and shade canopy.
- And plenty more to discover!
The Playground is free to visit and open all day everyday. There is a free car park at 177 Armagh Street.
- Location: 177 Armagh St, Christchurch